Oceanica Consulting Pty Ltd (Oceanica) is a Western Australian firm of approximately 40 staff providing specialised services in marine and coastal environmental consulting. Since our establishment in 2000, our corporate and government clients have entrusted us with hundreds of projects. We are unique in our total focus on marine and coastal issues and the breadth and depth of expertise we can provide.
BMT and Oceanica
On 1 January 2013, Oceanica became a member company of the BMT Group Ltd (BMT) a leading international consultancy primarily focussed on maritime activities. BMT evolved from a research organisation and has maintained a strong focus on investing in research and development in maritime fields. BMT is an Employee Benefit Trust (EBT) and all the assets are held in beneficial ownership for all employees with the trustees' remit being to act in the best interests of all employees in the short-, medium- and long-term. BMT’s technical focus, culture and structure are an ideal fit for Oceanica and will enhance what has made us successful while creating a resilient company with an assured future.
We currently remain called Oceanica, but at some time in the future we will change our name to BMT Oceanica to more openly demonstrate our membership of the BMT Group, our ABN and all other banking/trading details will remain the same.
In summary, we are excited at being able to build on the good work of the last decade, to improve our service to clients, and to remain an organisation that is attractive to the highest quality of staff.
We understand that you may have further questions, so please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss Oceanica’s transition into the BMT Group.
- About us
- Value for clients
- What does joining BMT mean?
Oceanica was established as a private Australian company in July 2000. We initially traded as DAL Science & Engineering (DALSE) until June 2004. DALSE was in turn created by the transfer of staff and clients from D.A. Lord & Associates (established 1988) when the founder, Dr Des Lord, took up an academic posting at the University of Western Australia. On 1 January 2013, Oceanica became a part of the BMT Group Ltd (BMT).
All of our professional personnel have high-level academic qualifications and wide experience in marine, coastal and estuarine environments. We provide expertise in the following general practise areas:
- State and Federal approvals;
- coastal infrastructure;
- marine discharges;
- coastal setback & protection;
- marine resources;
- policy, advice & education;
- aquaculture; and
- natural resource management.
Ensuring the safe collection of environmental samples and measurements is also a key aspect of Oceanica’s services, and is undertaken with rigorous attention to health and safety. Oceanica’s fieldwork is supported by our comprehensive suite of field equipment and all our diving is undertaken to a minimum of Australian Standard AS/NZS 2299.1:2007. Our divers are trained to a minimum of ADAS Part 1 (AS2815.1) under the supervision of trained onshore supervisors (AS2815.5), with the additional capacity to provide divers trained to ADAS Part 2 (AS2815.2).
To ensure a safe, efficient and auditable approach to project execution, Oceanica continually improves and invests in its key management systems (including project management, occupational safety and health, quality management, field operations, and data management systems). The combination of Oceanica's staff expertise, experience and efficient management systems ensures that our projects are carried out to a very high standard in a cost-effective and timely manner.
Oceanica’s comprehensive quality management system has been developed to identify and manage risks to the quality of services provided to our clients, and is certified to AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems–Requirements.
Oceanica creates value for clients by:
- obtaining timely approvals through our comprehensive understanding of regulatory requirements, consulting with all key stakeholders, and doing the work properly the first time
- reducing client risk through our expertise in implementing programs for regulator-imposed marine and coastal management, monitoring and reporting conditions
- assisting clients to build community and regulator credibility through best practise approaches and methods
- developing targeted programs that are not wasteful of time and money
- ensuring that our client is accessing the best available methods and skills
- maintaining value by ensuring the long-term utility and accessibility of client data
- ensuring that our rates are competitive and that staff experience and skills are suited to the task at hand
- building long-term partnerships with our fundamental approach of committing to maintain the highest level of service to our clients for the long-term
Throughout all of our work we maintain the following values
- INTEGRITY - Be Western Australia's leading provider of independent, specialist marine, estuarine and coastal environmental advice
- FULFILMENT - Ensure that working with Oceanica is safe, enjoyable and rewarding for our staff, clients and colleagues
- LEARNING - Promote and encourage professional development of all staff
- SYSTEMS - Document and maintain systems to support and enhance the services we provide
- EVALUATION - Monitor our performance to support regular review and continuous improvement
- CORPORATE CITIZENSHIP - Ensure the company is financially secure and operates in a socially and environmentally responsible manner
BMT understands that each company in the group is best placed to understand the needs of their own clients and staff. Oceanica’s future independence is guaranteed by BMT’s approach and structure.
Oceanica’s staff have welcomed the move to BMT because:
- our culture of providing high-quality service in the marine and coastal areas is further enhanced
- there is additional support and training for staff
- all staff will share in the future success of Oceanica and BMT
- Oceanica retains its identity and systems within BMT
- the long-term future of Oceanica is clear and stable
The clients we have had the opportunity to discuss this with have also been uniformly positive for the reasons listed above and because we now have the significant financial backing of BMT.
Oceanica has actively participated and contributed towards the following award winning projects
|2007 CIF Sustainability Awards
Cockburn Cement Seagrass Research and Rehabilitation Plan
|Finalist in the 2006 WA Environment Awards
Perth Long-term Ocean Outlet Monitoring (PLOOM) Programme
|2003 Institution of Engineers Australia (WA) Excellence Award
Bunbury Ocean Outfall Environmental Impact Assessment
|2000 Golden Gecko Award